POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing? : Re: What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Nov 2003 17:18:01
Message: <cjameshuff-7AEC2E.17124421112003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3fbc34ce3a0ec787f4bb868a0@news.povray.org>,
 "incognito" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Yes, I do. To be blunt, I'm not that young and have not had a geometry
> course in several years...I have seen there are a couple books that might
> address geometry for computer graphics in general, "Geometric Tools for
> Computer Graphics" and "Computer Graphics Handbook: Geometry and
> Mathematics" but only have the titles/authors and have not seen the books
> in person to know what they cover. Unfortunately, the library system in my
> area does not carry too many books on the subject for me to check out for
> free before purchasing.
>
> Also, have not seen too many books on ray tracers either that are not the
> type that teach you how to make your own (except the ones on Maya). I am
> not interested in doing that and also have no guarantee of ever working
> with Maya.

Okay...without knowing more about what your level of knowledge is, it's
going to be very hard to give any advice. The POV-Ray manual explains
vectors and quite a bit of the math that will be useful in general scene
building. You said a book "for ray tracing", which is why I suggested a
book on ray tracers, but if you're interested in the math they use that
is the best way to go. Making scenes in general really doesn't require a
lot of math...if you have some specific problems, it would help to know
what they are.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/