POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The sun and stars : Re: The sun and stars Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The sun and stars
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Apr 2003 17:59:14
Message: <cjameshuff-712C74.17591021042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ea44b2d@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

> > In that case, the brightness is on your side of the glass, so glare
> > masks many of them.
>
>   Glass has nothing to do with it.

When you are in a brightly lit room looking out the window (as you gave
in your example), the glass is very important. The reflection of the
interior of the room is far brighter than many stars, and covers a much
wider area. The helmet visor doesn't have a brighter interior to
reflect, which is why I gave the example of opening a door and glancing
out. Try it: the stars are visible. From what I've read about what the
astronauts actually saw, at least when you are facing upward and away
from the sun, the stars are perfectly visible.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/