POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radial coordinates in POV : Re: Radial coordinates in POV Server Time
4 Aug 2024 12:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radial coordinates in POV
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 May 2003 19:09:13
Message: <cjameshuff-6E6E7A.18100621052003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <pan### [at] iastateedu>,
 Ed Jackson <eja### [at] iastateedu> wrote:

> However, it is the function f_ph which returns this value.  I was just
> curious why it was defined that way, and thought that perhaps the
> definitions of phi and theta were not exactly universal--

There are several conventions in use. Mathematics usually uses a
different convention (theta = rotation or longitude, phi = elevation or
latitude) than physics or engineering, which swaps the meanings.
Sometimes they are even completely reversed, like < r, theta, phi> or
<r, phi, theta>. You just have to watch out for what system is being
used.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html

> much like the question of y-up v. z-up or right-handed v. left-handed
> cartesian coordinate systems.

The former, but not the latter. Right handed and left handed systems are
both well defined mathematically, it's their usage (like which dimension
is "up") that is disputed. For example, in the case of computer 2D
graphics, you already use "y" for height and "x" for side to side, so
"z" for depth is the simplest way to extend things to 3D.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/