POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smalltalk raytracer : Re: Smalltalk raytracer Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smalltalk raytracer
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 18 Oct 2003 22:38:41
Message: <cjameshuff-69CA0C.22363018102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3f88ad21$1@news.povray.org>, David Buck <dav### [at] simbeoncom>
wrote:

> If anyone is interested in learning how ray tracing works or wants an
> excuse to learn Smalltalk, I've written a (very) simplistic ray tracer
> in Smalltalk and made the code freely available.  Don't expect anything
> dramatic - this version isn't even as powerful as DKBTrace was.  My
> purpose in writing it was to see how ray tracing would look in a pure
> object oriented language, to help teach some techniques in Smalltalk,
> and to give me something fun to write rather than business applications.

Have you ever done anything in Objective C? It is basically C with a
Smalltalk-like object system layered over it. And Objective-C++ is the
same system layered over C++...you could use C++ classes for matrices
and vectors, and do the rest of the program as you would in a more OO
manner. There's a raytracing toolkit of some sort written in it:
http://www.artoolkit.org/

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/