POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Lighting for Bright Sunlight : Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:17:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lighting for Bright Sunlight
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Mar 2004 22:55:53
Message: <cjameshuff-67D978.22565503032004@news.povray.org>
In article <4043da15$1@news.povray.org>,
 "John M. Dlugosz" <wtb### [at] sneakemailcom> wrote:

> Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:
> > What is an Gazebo?
>
> "A freestanding, roofed, usually open-sided structure
> providing a shady resting place."

An ideal radiosity scene.

> > You should use radiosity,
> > Light will be "produced" by ambient objects (including sky_sphere) and
> > objects with i.e. finish{ambient 1}
>
> I'll have to read up on that again.  When it was first
> available, it was picky to use and =way= too slow!

Try it again. Don't forget to look at the rad_def.inc include file (part
of the standard distribution). It's been greatly improved in quality and
speed since the earliest versions.

> > You also my try HDRI instead sky_sphere (You need ML POV patch instead of
> > Pov 3.6 for it).
>
> What is HDRI?

High Dynamic Range Image. An image format that can store values outside
of a 0-100% range. It doesn't necessarily give more realistic results in
POV because color values used internally are unclipped anyway, but it
allows you to use precalculated or real-world samples for distant
surroundings.

> > In addition You might want to use area_light.
>
> As I recall, the area light affects the apparence of the
> shadow but =not= the illumination shading.

Correct. However, the soft shadow can sometimes give an appearance
similar to actual radiosity.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/