POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL Access to Already Declared Objects? : Re: SDL Access to Already Declared Objects? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 08:08:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SDL Access to Already Declared Objects?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Mar 2004 07:43:50
Message: <cjameshuff-6795B5.07440523032004@news.povray.org>
In article <405f2a3f$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> How difficult would it be to allow SDL access to predeclared objects?  Ie,
> you'd use something like this:
>
> #declare obj = firstObject;
>
> // obj is now a reference to the first declared object
>
> #declare loc = obj.location;

obj has a location? What's the location of an infinite plane? Or a julia
fractal?

> #declare pig = obj.texture.pigment;
> #declare med = obj.interior.media;

Which media? You can have more than one.

> #declare shine = obj.texture.finish.specular;

And which texture? What if the object has layered textures?

> I'm not interested in changing the objects already declared, just in getting
> information about them.  I don't see that there would be any technical
> difficulties, and it would be hugely advantageous for particle simulations,
> among other things.

It would require writing a lot of special code for each object type, and
as already mentioned, the specified object parameters may no longer
exist in the same form, and some things can exist in multiple forms. You
could parse objects into an intermediate structure to avoid that
problem, and make it a structure of the script language to allow both
reading as in your examples and modification. This would be the best
way, but would be a large amount of work. It would be useful in other
ways though, if one were able to define custom structures. It wouldn't
need to be a full fledged object oriented system, but that would really
help.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/