POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : SCALING HEIGHT FIELD, GETTING RAY INTERSECTIONS OUT OF POV-RAY : Re: SCALING HEIGHT FIELD, GETTING RAY INTERSECTIONS OUT OF POV-RAY Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SCALING HEIGHT FIELD, GETTING RAY INTERSECTIONS OUT OF POV-RAY
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 4 Sep 2003 13:29:50
Message: <cjameshuff-67955B.13294704092003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3f5641e0fd79e95a78c628a10@news.povray.org>,
 "saleem" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>     1.I'm using a PNG file as a height field (DIGITAL TERIAN MODEL - DTM),
> this height field is imported to pov-ray to be in size of 1,1,1, I would
> like to translate and         rescale the height field back to it's real
> size and location.

The "real" size and location is whatever you need it to be. POV
coordinates have no relation to real-world units, and certainly no
relation to coordinates on a globe.

> Are the pixels centers placed on the corners or are they
> shifted 0.5 pixel inside form each direction ? (Should I use a factor for
> translation of :  dx = x0 - 0.5*grid_dx ?). is the image map (png file)
> scaling concept similar also to height field scaling and translation
> concept?

I really have no idea what you're asking here...but it sounds like you
really don't understand how image maps and height fields work. I suggest
you go back and read the documentation, maybe look at the earlier
threads in these groups.

>  2. I'm defining the camera according to right_length vector, I know that
> the pixel size in the camera plan is X (1.5 micro m), how to define the
> length of right vector: X * columns  or X * (columns -1), generally speaking
> how pov ray calculate the ray vector for intersection when using the trace
> function ?

Again, I have no idea what you're asking. You may be going at it the
wrong way, try describing exactly what you're attempting to do rather
than assuming it must be done a certain way.

>  3. How can I get out of pov ray X,Y,Z of the intersections ? I have added
> also building to scene (group of poly)

Look up the trace() function.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg