POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strangeness with Parallel Lights : Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strangeness with Parallel Lights
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Feb 2004 08:05:59
Message: <cjameshuff-67786F.08062211022004@news.povray.org>
In article <opr27akwh2p4ukzs@news.povray.org>,
 Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote:

> > No. The point_at vector is a location, the plane vector is a direction
> > (the plane normal). Thought the two are the same when the location is <
> > 0, 0, 0>, as in your example.
>
> Errr. If light-source{0 rgb 1 parallel point_at y} then surely if I
> connect a line between location and point_at than a plane perpendicular to
> this would be lying at 0 in the XZ plane ie.

Right. The surface normal direction and the point_at location match up,
because the light location is < 0, 0, 0>. You could use a non-normalized
vector as well, it doesn't matter as long as they point in the same
direction.

> plane {0,y} and not plane{y,y} or even plane{y,-y};

Er, no. It would be "plane {y, 0}". The last two aren't even valid
planes...the POV primitive takes a normal vector and displacement
distance.

> in the same way that light_source{y rgb 1
> parallel point_at <1,1,0>} would produce the equivalent of a plane{0,x} or
> plane{y,x} to be more precise: otherwise the scene I've just produced
> wouldn't work; unless I'm just lucky :)

A location of < 0, 1, 0> (y) and point_at of < 1, 1, 0> would lead to a
direction of < 1, 0, 0>, or x. The equivalent plane would be "plane {x,
0}". Again, "plane {y, x}" isn't even a valid plane.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/