POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : matrix (components as functions of the coordinates) : Re: matrix (components as functions of the coordinates) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: matrix (components as functions of the coordinates)
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Jun 2003 21:00:44
Message: <cjameshuff-623393.19522612062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ee90e76@news.povray.org>,
 Edwin Miller <edw### [at] webde> wrote:

> Is there any way to create a (matrix) transformation in POVRAY with
> the matrix components V00 .. V32 (as descripted in the manual) as
> functions of the image coordinates px, py, pz?
>
> I wanted to create a "cone" with the base just like a ellipse and the
> top just like a normal circle. Therefor I have to scale the original cone
> at the base with something like <1,1,0.5> and at the top with <1,1,1>,
> between these both position scaling like a linear function.

You can not. The matrix coefficients are constant, and only reversable
linear transforms are supported. To do otherwise would require tracing
curved rays, which is very, very slow.

> If there's no way to solve this problem with the matrix keyword,
> is there any other way to do?

You could use a generic polynomial shape or an isosurface. Or you could
just use the Supercone() macro in shapes.inc, which lets you specify an
ellipse for each end of a cone.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/