POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Another high dynamic range format: FNG : Re: Another high dynamic range format: FNG Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another high dynamic range format: FNG
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 26 Apr 2004 18:51:48
Message: <cjameshuff-57E687.18504626042004@news.povray.org>
In article <408d3322$1@news.povray.org>,
 Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:

> > It is portable.
>
> 	Indeed, and this is why I answered to myself that I was wrong.

Oh, I see it now... "Yes, most likely."
I just mentally set it aside to figure out what you were talking about
later, and it never "clicked". Sorry.

> It's just that I'm so used to softwares writing raw floating-point data
> by people who don't even know what is endianness that I was immediatly
> suspicious of using floating point in PNG... until I re-read your
> message and the bit distribution you proposed.

Understandable. Most people take the easy way out, either through
ignorance or laziness. It'd probably be different if the C library
included functions for converting to some cross-platform standardized
format.

> 	As Christoph suggests, that would be quite nice to make it in
> the official PNG format, instead of making it a derivative.  That could
> go in e.g. libpng-1.3 -- the only drawback is: when would it appear ?
> (png and zlib developpers are not particularly fast at releasing new
> versions, and I don't know their policies in accepting contributions).

Well, I'll find out when I get around to emailing them about
it...probably not until after finals.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/