POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition : Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Fractal Raytracing Competition
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Apr 2004 22:23:51
Message: <cjameshuff-575922.22242602042004@news.povray.org>
In article <406d8791@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   If they allow post-processing then it's not a rendering competition
> anymore. It's a computer graphics competition.

Depends on the type of post-processing. If it's done by hand, I'd
disallow it. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? You can do
rescaling, convolution filters, color adjustment, basically anything in
POV-Ray, and some renderers have such features built in, which allows
them to take advantage of data not available to external editors. It's
an incredibly ugly hack, but it's possible, and no different from doing
it in an external program.

So I'd say that this kind of full-image, non-interactive processing
should be allowed, maybe with the requirement of the script or commands
used to generate the final image. You can't really avoid it without
carefully examining how the software generates each image, which may
involve in-depth knowledge of how the software works internally.
Interactive editing to remove rendering artifacts or add objects and
details should not be allowed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/