POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : (not) a feature request : Re: (not) a feature request Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (not) a feature request
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Jan 2003 18:07:04
Message: <cjameshuff-546699.18055223012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3e305f35b952d19c978071460@news.povray.org>,
 "JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> -shadowless: I mean, I don't want the darn light to cast shadows. Period.
> Maybe I still want it to show specular highlights why not? it's up to me
> isn't it? I know that that behaviour is wanted, because users wanted fill
> lights to behave this way and all but I'm pretty sure a lot of users here
> would prefer to turn off specular highlights as they see fit.

Having shadowless and no_shadow? I don't think so.
I'd rather dump "shadowless" and have both objects and light sources use
no_shadow. And no_shadow would only affect shadows, maybe include a
fill_light() macro to make conversion simpler.

> -no_specular (or something like that) see above.

How about no_highlight? I don't think anyone would want a light with
only one kind of highlight.

> -no_diffuse: for those who think the combo pure radiosity lighting + fast
> specular highlights (or photons) is just a dream.

That would indeed be useful, though no_diffuse is a little misleading if
it emits photons.
Implementing these without impacting the rendering speed isn't easy,
though, and still doesn't give the maximum flexibility. That would
require something like light_groups, allowing you to specify how each
light interacts with each object, probably at a cost of efficiency.
Maybe include the basic options and a shading language capable of the
more advanced combinations.

> Now, is there anyone who can tell me how to accomplish this? Which files
> should I modify and how?

Look through the code to see how the related features are implemented.

> P.S. I also think no_image objects should still affect radiosity. Again a
> no_radiosity flag would leave the decision to the user. Endless
> possibilities...

That's the problem...after a certain point, you may as well modify the
source code, or use some language that can be evaluated on the fly.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/