POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sphere/polyherdon question : Re: Sphere/polyherdon question Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sphere/polyherdon question
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 May 2004 13:50:26
Message: <cjameshuff-4F7C4C.13493402052004@news.povray.org>
In article <40941f69@news.povray.org>,
 "Ilia Guzei" <igu### [at] fozziechemwiscedu> wrote:

> I need to approximate a sphere with 60,000 points.  How can I generate such
> a polyhedron with equivalent points on the sphere?  Perhaps a C algorithm is
> posted some place on this web site but I can't find it.

A recursively divided polyhedron will not give you fine control over the
number of points. Each recursion multiplies the number of triangles by 4.

A more useful tessellation I've found is to use the tessellation of a
cube projected onto the sphere. In other words, tessellate the sphere as
six rectangular patches. This gives you far finer control over the
actual resolution you want, rather than restricting you to powers of 4,
but still gives a fairly even distribution of triangles.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/