POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : normals function : Re: normals function Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: normals function
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 14 Jan 2004 16:23:07
Message: <cjameshuff-4E69DA.16232414012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <opr1pzvldo0x9foi@news.povray.org>,
 Mikael Pohjola <emp### [at] cchutfi> wrote:

> I think you left out the most useful thing: the dot-product is 0 when the
> two vectors are perpendicular to each other (since the cosine of 90
> degrees is 0)

I'd say this is even more useful: if the dot product is > 0, the vectors
point in roughly the same direction (less than 90 degree angle), if it
is < 0, they point in opposite directions (greater than 90 degree
angle). And there are many other uses...finding intersections with
various objects, for example. (the plane intersection equation is little
more than two dot products)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/