POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scattering media and photons : Re: Scattering media and photons Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scattering media and photons
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 31 Mar 2004 08:30:13
Message: <cjameshuff-463158.08304231032004@news.povray.org>
In article <opr5ofawzup4ukzs@news.povray.org>,
 Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamdeckingdealscouk> wrote:

> Well I've gone through optics.pov which shows reflected beams etc.,
> unfortunately without explaining how it works, and pulled together the
> following scene with comments.

Hmm. I'll try to make some more informative comments for the 3.6 version.

> If anyone can offer an explaination why
> both refraction and reflection need to be on in the light_source;

Because you use both refraction and reflection. Sort of. It seems that
photons will only be generated if the target is the first object the ray
from the light source hits. In this scene, the first object hit is the
media container, which then blocks the mirror from getting any photons.
I recently ran into this with a candle scene, where the offending shape
was the flame container. You can sometimes partially work around it by
making the media container shadowless, but that won't work for this
situation. It's almost certainly a bug.

> why the
> light_source must be outside the media container in order to get a
> reflected beam;

No idea. I'll have to investigate that further.

> and why a cylinder light_source produces sharp edges in
> the original beam with refraction on, I'd be most interested.

You might be seeing the difference between the original light source
beam, rendered by usual raytracing, and the beam of media-deposited
photons.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/