POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : the trace function and toroidal objects : Re: the trace function and toroidal objects Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:11:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the trace function and toroidal objects
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 1 Oct 2003 08:59:50
Message: <cjameshuff-43D5C7.08583901102003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <oprwckljrimulnlm@localhost>, melundbe@mtu.edu wrote:

> NOpe, I have objects both inside and outside the toroid, and the trace
> simply ignores the intersections with the inside.  At least I'm pretty
> confident that it is.  I'll check again.

Now I have no idea what you're describing. The trace() function has
nothing to do with object-object intersections, and any objects not
passed to trace() simply do not exist, as far as it is concerned.

> The lumpiness is a function that combines a bozo colormap and some others
> with the f_torus, giving the torus a hilly landscape, or lumps.  This is
> the reason I'm not simply constructing a torus through other means.

So you are tracing against an isosurface...should have paid more
attention. Could be problems with max_gradient, or something with the
locations you're tracing from confusing the isosurface solver.
As for vector math, you could pretty easily build it out of a mesh, like
the height field macros in shapes.inc, and do something similar to
project points onto its surface. The trace() function would still be the
simplest way to find a point on the surface, though.

> I did some experiments and have reached the unambiguous conclusion that
> the trace function will not hit the inside of the torus.  If anyone can
> claim they're sure it works for them, I don't know what to say.  I'm using
> MegaPOV 1.0, by the way.

Your conclusion is simply wrong. The trace() function, when used
properly, will hit any part of the surface of an object. There is
nothing special about these surfaces, except for the fact that the
object is relatively inaccurate.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/