POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Your wanted features : Re: Your wanted features Server Time
30 Jun 2024 19:39:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Your wanted features
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 19 Jun 2003 10:56:10
Message: <cjameshuff-3F8212.09461719062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ef133dd$1@news.povray.org>,
 "Ray Gardener" <ray### [at] daylongraphicscom> wrote:

> So, similar to REYES, "troublesome" polygons simply
> get broken up into smaller and smaller pieces until
> the CSG test becomes as easy as raytracing. The user
> can also tune the dicing recursion level to trade
> quality vs. speed. The only real hard part is making
> good inside/outside determiner routines for a triangle checked
> against each of the possible primitives. A lazy routine would
> treat more polygons as needing dicing, slowing things down.

This may be useful for scanlining, but what I'm after is a method for
generating meshes for general use. For just raytracing, it would be
possible to just use an ordinary CSG of solid meshes, but then you have
to store the CSG structure, you end up with a CSG instead of a mesh.
What needs to be done is remove some triangles and add some new ones to
lace up the edges. Subdivision at this point will be useful, but not to
micropolygons...the triangles need to be stored, render-time subdivision
would require information about the CSG structure. It may not be
necessary though...things like proximity and glow effects (two other
things I plan to use tessellation with) may work fine with simple
quick-and-dirty removal of triangles that are entirely contained in
another object.

> > How does your preview currently function? An OpenGL preview was one of
> > the ultimate goals of my patch, but I never got started on it.
>
> The details are in the patch's readme.txt, but what I did
> yesterday was to add a Render_Style INI parameter to treat
> scanlining and raytracing as selectable render methods.
> The options are

What I actually meant was: how are you tessellating and drawing the
objects? Did you add an object method to draw in OpenGL, or one to
tessellate to a mesh which is used by drawing code elsewhere? Or
something else?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/