POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : cracked glass: interface between pieces looks black : Re: cracked glass: interface between pieces looks black Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cracked glass: interface between pieces looks black
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 17 Jul 2003 23:53:05
Message: <cjameshuff-393C10.22472517072003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <web.3f175787a9275eec9cfc34200@news.povray.org>,
 "oldmicah" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

>   I'm trying to simulate a pair of glasses with a cracked lens.  My first
> thought was to split the lens into several pieces, and then, when put
> together, they would nicely simulate the broken glass of the lens.  The
> problem is that in the intersection between the pieces, I'm getting a black
> area in my rendering.  Reading another post, I first tried overlapping the
> two pieces, and then tried separating them with a space, and finally tried
> putting them flush.  All three yeilded the black area in the interface.

Have you tried a higher max_trace_level?
Well, you didn't mention it, so you probably haven't. Put something like
"global_settings {max_trace_level 20}" at the beginning of your scene.
Basically, this tells POV to go through more transparent or reflecting
surfaces before it stops tracing rays.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/