POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is there a "string length" function? : Re: Is there a "string length" function? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there a "string length" function?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 23 Feb 2003 12:25:26
Message: <cjameshuff-33C0B1.12220423022003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e58628d@news.povray.org>,
 "Will W" <wil### [at] NOSPAMwizzardsnet> wrote:

> An added section of cross references for those who come to POV from a
> programming background could be very helpful. If there was a section
> entitled "Especially for Programmers New To POV" I would have read that
> before any other part of the manual, and I think that would be true for any
> other programmer, too. That would be a good place to say that in the SDL
> philosophy functions are organized by their return type, describe how POV
> macros differ from keyboard macros and subroutine calls, and so on. Such
> material should not replace what has been written, but should be added as an
> appendix.

It would be nice if it could be done without making the reader jump all
over the documentation, but without much duplication. Here's one
possible layout:

numeric functions
    scalar functions (float and integer)
        trig sub group...trig functions should be together, not mixed
with functions like pow() and int().
    vector functions
string functions
object functions
array functions
other functions

And a separate section listing them by return type, with links to the
main documentation.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/