POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : My first patch? : Re: My first patch? Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My first patch?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 5 May 2004 21:32:30
Message: <cjameshuff-3218BC.20314505052004@news.povray.org>
In article <Xns94E0F14E55E3Fraf256com@203.29.75.35>,
 "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <spa### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> Sorry for being so "fast", but I realy am interested in this - when we
> could expect official PovRay to have HDRI (and other greate pathces like
> highfield fix, 4D noise by slime, .hdr output etc) - (version/date).
>
> Is it like a month and 3.7, or more like a year and 4.0 ?

No.
We do not give release dates. We will not, period. And aside from that,
given that 3.6 hasn't reached final release yet, what makes you think
there will be a 3.7 released in a month, or 4.0 in a year?!? Or that we
have any kind of final feature list for these non-existent versions?

> Maybe authors of un-official version should have guidelines about writting
> patches, so that their code could be easly incorpotated into official Pov
> and allow it to grow faster?

If you would look at the MegaPOV project, you would see that they do
have such guidelines. This is fairly irrelevant to how long it takes to
include something in the official version, because most of the time to
include a patch is taken by redesign of the code and syntax, and then
extensive testing in private, then public betas. As has been said many
times, making an official release consists of far more than throwing a
bunch of patches in and getting it to compile!

> And some licence agreement template to allow
> TAG to modyfie and use their donated code.

The POV Team asks permission of the author, using donated code usually
isn't a problem. And the TAG has little to do with this.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/