POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simulating diamonds : Re: Simulating diamonds Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simulating diamonds
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 12 Jan 2003 22:00:11
Message: <cjameshuff-2AE394.21494212012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e22232e@news.povray.org>,
 "J.Kosina \(Rebel^v^\)" <sku### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I need to simulate realistic light effects in diamond-shape structures.
> I see no big trouble in making the shape, but i am no sure about
> setting material parametres. Also I have heard that raytracing programs are
> not good at stuff like this.

I'm not sure where you would have heard that. Raytracers excel at this
type of thing, reflection and refraction are extremely difficult to do
accurately in a scanline renderer and very easy in a raytracer. In fact,
I think this is one of the uses of raytracing that actually predates
computers, along with lens design.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/