POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scanline rendering in POV-Ray : Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:13:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scanline rendering in POV-Ray
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Jun 2003 13:34:00
Message: <cjameshuff-27D2C9.12264003062003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <Xns### [at] povrayorg>,
 ingo <ing### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> Just for my understanding; Everytime I see a statement simular to this I
> wonder, does it mean building a CSG from POV-Ray primitives and then
> tesselate it, or tesselate the "POV-Ray primitives" to a certain level and
> then do the CSG (as I saw it in a very old version of 3D-studio)?

It generally refers to doing CSG with meshes. Making sure you don't end
up with gaps or odd seams where the formerly separate meshes touch is
not an easy problem to solve. Unions are easy, but merge, difference,
and intersection are not.

There are algorithms for tessellating arbitrary objects, but they are
never optimal. You end up with huge amounts of triangles in places where
you don't need them, and you can still lose small details, the point of
a cone or edges of a box for example. You can tessellate a box with 12
triangles, but with one of these algorithms you are likely to end up
with hundreds of thousands just to get rid of the faceting artifacts.
CSG of multiple meshes is really the best way to go, it's just really
hard.

One possible compromise would be to just avoid the problem of joining
the seams by using solid geometry CSG on the meshes, like what POV does
now with other primitives and meshes with an inside_vector specified.
This is not really the best possible solution, but could give some
improvements.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/