POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : pngcrush : Re: pngcrush Server Time
18 May 2024 09:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pngcrush
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 9 Jul 2004 22:33:44
Message: <cjameshuff-2605DF.21334409072004@news.povray.org>
In article <40ec4311@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Being a lossless image format PNG can't compete with JPEG in compression
> when storing photographs or other similar images. It can only compete
> with line-drawing-type images, cartoony images (which don't have color
> gradients) and such. Also if the image can be represented well with 256
> colors then a 256-color png can often compete with a jpg (but not always).

However, for intermediate images during processing, the lossless
compression and 16 bit depth available in PNG make it far superior to
JPEG. I usually render to 16 bit PNG, I can reduce it later if
necessary, and the extra precision is useful for any post adjustments.

However, my preferred format is actually TIFF...LZW compressed TIFF has
performed better than PNG in my tests. The Unisys patents have expired,
leaving only the patent belonging to IBM, which from what I've read
doesn't apply to image formats. (Correct me if I'm wrong here...but in
any case, *that* patent's going to expire soon as well. If IBM did try
to push it for some insane reason, they wouldn't get much benefit out of
it.)

Anyway, aside from the compression, TIFF supports an arbitrary number of
channels, image layers, floating point and logarithmic encodings in
several levels of precision, and many more features.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/