POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Is there a "string length" function? : Re: Is there a "string length" function? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there a "string length" function?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 22 Feb 2003 11:09:23
Message: <cjameshuff-1F29DC.11061722022003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e576a0f@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   strlen() is a float function.

It's part of the string toolkit, meant specifically for working with
strings. It's a string function. If POV were object oriented, it would
be a method of string objects, not floats.

>   There's a good and logical reason for calling it a float function (and
> you should know it without me telling it).

Yes, but theres also a logical reason for calling it a string function,
and a much more intuitive one.

>   So naming and categorizing functions by their return value is not only
> logical but it's actualy a categorization by purpose: Float functions are
> those which can be used anywhere a float value is expected.

But it isn't a categorization by purpose, which is the problem. It is a
categorization by return type.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/