POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POV-Ray shadow : Re: POV-Ray shadow Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray shadow
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Jan 2003 14:02:21
Message: <cjameshuff-1C3B38.13581202012003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3E1480FD.26C73DE3@t-online.de>,
 Benjamin Winter <320### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:

> I'm searching for a trick to make the shadow of an object visible on an
> undergroung. but the underground is not visible. so, maybe with no_image
> or with rgbt 1 or something like that. the problem is, that if there in
> no object visible, there is no shadow. but I want to have a shadow
> without underground, is that possible? (excuse my bad english)

A shadow is just an area of an object with less light shining on it, it
isn't a "thing". Take away the object and there is no longer any surface
for there to be an absence of light on.

If you just want a solid colored background with only a shadow, no
shading or horizon visible, set the background to the desired color and
use a plane with a flat color pigment and "brilliance 0" in the finish
statement:

background rgb < 1, 1, 1>

plane {y, 0
    texture {