POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Direction dependent glass? : Re: Direction dependent glass? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Direction dependent glass?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Apr 2003 10:11:40
Message: <cjameshuff-18E917.10112824042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ea7e2b2@news.povray.org>,
 Simon Adameit <sim### [at] gaussschule-bsde> wrote:

> A one-way glass window does only make sense if you will be able to see
> it from both sides

Right. Otherwise you could just change the texture.

> and if you see it from both sides

Say, from a mirror in the room on the "subject" room, with the camera in
the "observer" room.

> you will be able to tell the difference between a thick glass and a
> single-surface glass

Uh...why? You would still need a close look at it.

> thus you need a way to archieve one-way thick glass which with interior
> texture alone wont work, the interior texture needs to be transparent
> but the outside texture only needs to be transparent on one side which
> you can archieve with the object or slope pattern.

Well, as I've been saying, you can probably get a reasonable one-way
effect by good lighting. But I don't see how the slope pattern can help
here. Are you using the object pattern to only silver one side of the
glass? That's a little overkill in flexibility, and gradient would
probably be as fast, but it would work.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/