POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possibility to assign photons to certain material? : Re: Possibility to assign photons to certain material? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 20:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possibility to assign photons to certain material?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 11 Feb 2004 08:46:10
Message: <cjameshuff-15A871.08463211022004@news.povray.org>
In article <vib### [at] tritonimagicode>,

> I'd suggest you (and everyone else who thinks photons are just like
> (faked) caustics) to read up how they work before stating such
> conclusions.

Completely irrelevant, and somewhat insulting. I understand how photons
work. Yes, they are computed differently than faked caustics, that
doesn't matter one bit. If transparency, reflection, and refraction are
material attributes, it only makes sense for photons to be so as well.

> The idea behind making photon settings part of the material certainly is
> to make it unnecessary for the user to think about which *objects* he
> wants how many photons for.  But since doing so will not actually change
> anything in the way POV-Ray distributes the photons this will not result
> in any actual improvement of the output quality or the render efficiency
> - it would just create the illusion for the user that he does not need
> to care about which objects should have photons.

The point is to make it more convenient to write scenes. The fact that
it won't improve efficiency or quality is entirely aside from the
point...it isn't intended to do so in the first place.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/