POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : ellipse : Re: ellipse Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:27:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ellipse
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 25 Mar 2004 11:33:52
Message: <cjameshuff-0E3055.11341025032004@news.povray.org>
In article <4062e844@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   It's an ellipsoid in the colloquial sense of "elongated sphere", but
> is it an ellipsoid as defined mathematically is another question. :)

A sphere is technically an ellipsoid. All shapes formed by uneven
scaling of spheres are ellipsoids, and are described by the equation:

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 + z^2/c^2 = 1

Anyway, a "cylinderical ellipse" doesn't make sense, but the
"cylinderical" part is making me think of an elliptic cylinder:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticCylinder.html

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>