POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Use of radiosity negates effect of normals.... : Re: Use of radiosity negates effect of normals.... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use of radiosity negates effect of normals....
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Mar 2004 23:10:14
Message: <cjameshuff-05157F.23103928032004@news.povray.org>
In article <406711cd$1@news.povray.org>,
 Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOT_THISsibafi> wrote:

> It is quite odd that they are turned off by default. I'd guess that
> people using normals would also like to see them regardless of the
> source of the light...

Well, much of the time, the effects of normals + radiosity don't
contribute much to the scene, and taking them into account makes things
slower. As I recall, the earlier versions of radiosity never took
normals into account, it was an added feature, so backwards
compatibility may have been some part of the decision.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/