POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Light source performance impact problems : Re: Light source performance impact problems Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light source performance impact problems
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 3 Jan 2004 19:50:29
Message: <cjameshuff-03DCF5.19502803012004@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3ff75404@news.povray.org>,
 "Hughes, B." <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:

> Considering how light_source has so much impact on the rendering times this
> idea of constraining its realm might be a great thing. Especially, as
> Chistopher pointed out, if shadow creation were limited to a certain
> distance; as measured from camera or the light, or both.

To be precise, what I was talking about was ignoring the light if the
attenuated illumination from it dropped below the ADC bailout or some
new threshold value. Shadow testing would not be done in this case,
which should speed up things quite nicely.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: <chr### [at] tagpovrayorg>
http://tag.povray.org/