POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Alternative Box Intersection Algorithm : Re: Alternative Box Intersection Algorithm Server Time
30 Jun 2024 12:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alternative Box Intersection Algorithm
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 14 Sep 2004 15:15:02
Message: <ci7fs3$ihf$1@chho.imagico.de>
Ryan Lamansky wrote:
> In my studies of POV-Ray's source, I've discovered an alternative box
> intersection algorithm.  This one is far less branchy and far less prone
> to floating-point floatiness problems.
>
> The only C++ compiler I have is Microsoft's (VS.NET 2003), so I'm not
> able to compare the speed with the official version (which uses Intel's
> compiler).

Let me get this straight - you can't compare the speed because you can
only compile your patched version but not the unmodified code?

Concerning your code - you do:

   divx = 1/D[X]

without checking if D[X] is zero for example (the paper you cited
clearly states that it relies on the IEEE floating point standard for this).

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______