POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:03:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Mar 2000 20:07:36
Message: <chrishuff_99-F39B67.20092410032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38C994D0.C4A06309@ij.net>, Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet>
wrote:

> > #declare A = A + B;
> > #declare A = A - B;
>
> 	OK. Any what is the value beyond saving a few keystrokes?
>
> 	The time required for extra keystrokes is the last thing that
> worries even the best of programmers.

Better readability, code which is easier to maintain without introducing
new bugs, etc. The examples given make using = and + look good, but they
also use single-character variable names. Just about the only time I use
single-character variable names is in loop counters, most of the time
the names are longer. Add in using multidimensional arrays, and you
quickly get to line lengths that are very difficult to keep track of and
modify later.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom