POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : variable refraction : Re: variable refraction Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: variable refraction
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Jan 2000 17:11:11
Message: <chrishuff_99-E3E053.17115227012000@news.povray.org>
In article <3890BD85.E7A95150@istar.ca>, sde### [at] istarca wrote:

> But a right solution for another problem.
>
> I was looking at a test tube in my Chem lab yesterday, and noticed the
> ribbons of variable refraction streaming through the liquid.
>
> It would also be nice to simulate heat lines, and mirages in the desert...

I have often noticed this, and have been wondering how it could be
done...
Probably the best way would be to follow the ray a short
distance(specified by a parameter) into the object, sample the ior at
that point(or actually, the rate and direction it is changing), and
repeat this process. It would probably be as slow as media, and would
slow media down(since the path media is sampled over would have to
change due to the variable ior). It might not be extremely difficult to
implement, but I don't have the math knowledge to do it.

The syntax would be something like this:
variable_ior {sample_spacing, max_sample_depth, PATTERN}

I also think there should be some kind of float_map_wave waveform
modifier for patterns(like sine_wave, triangle_wave, etc), it would act
similar to the slope_map. This would allow a high degree of control over
the values of a pattern, and would almost be necessary for this
variable_ior thing to be useable. This is one I might be able to
handle...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom