POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Different error messages for same POV-file : Re: Different error messages for same POV-file Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Different error messages for same POV-file
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Mar 2000 17:18:02
Message: <chrishuff_99-E1521E.17195916032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38D04348.E90DFF94@hotmail.com>, Tor Olav Kristensen
<tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Earlier I had not got used to typing semi-colons at the end of float
> and vector declarations, so I saw these error messages once or twice a
> month or so, but now I usually forget very few of the semi-colons, so I
> seldom see these crashes.

I really wish POV-Ray would accept, if not require, semicolons at the
end of declarations. It should be a simple modification to make, at
least for someone who understands the declaration code(I don't).

> Btw. Do you have any idea of how POV-Ray manage to give me several
> different error messages after successive runs (without me altering
> my code or any settings in POV-Ray) ?
>
> For me this seems like POV-Ray is in error ...
>
> (Or could my error trigger several error messages, where only a
> random selected one is printed each time?)
>
> The funny thing is that none of the keywords ('clock_delta', 'tan',
> 'on') that POV-Ray claims it found in a wrong place, appears in my
> POV-file.
>
> error: undeclared identifier expected but float function 'clock_delta'
> found instead.

It sounds like POV is using(internally, not in your scene) a variable
that doesn't get initialized...this would qualify as a bug even if that
isn't the cause.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom