POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Q: Tutorials on hand-made scenes? : Re: Q: Tutorials on hand-made scenes? Server Time
3 May 2024 20:12:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: Tutorials on hand-made scenes?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 22 Dec 1999 06:45:13
Message: <chrishuff_99-DC8792.06455522121999@news.povray.org>
In article <3860B28E.93334A63@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> Ron Parker does it but I don't know how.

I have done hand coding of patches, but not with anything complex.
Probably one of the two primitives I would use a modeller for(with the
other being large meshes, although I can do small ones by hand). Hmm,
actually, that isn't quite right, I do use the graphical spline editor
in MacMegaPOV for lathe, sor, prism, etc objects. Does that count as a
modeller?

All of the primitives can be hand coded, but the bicubic patch is
usually done with a modeller. Of course, with the additions to the POV
language of loops, conditionals, file I/O, and especially macros, you
can generate the bicubic patches within the POV file.

One thing that may help: as I remember, the only easy way to get patches
to tile is to overlap them. Imagine dividing them into 9 squares, the
outermost ring of squares should overlap the surrounding patches, with
the control points in the same position(did that make any sense?).

 ___________ _______
|   |   |   |   |   |
| - | - | * | + | + |
 ___________ _______
|   |   |   |   |   |
| - | - | * | + | + |
 ___________ _______

Squares with a - are in patch A, with a + are in patch B, with a *
belong to both patches.
Also take a look at the scene description language reference in the
documentation, it should be in section 4.5.2.1.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom