POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : mathematics for lines in 3D space : Re: mathematics for lines in 3D space Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: mathematics for lines in 3D space
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Mar 2000 18:38:32
Message: <chrishuff_99-BE7900.18402513032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38cd5e80@news.povray.org>, "Erick" <ejv### [at] wxsnl>
wrote:

> I wondered if there is an easy way to make threedimensional curves
> using a mathematical function, ideally precisely between two points .
> How could this be done in POV-ray?

There is a set of spline macros by Chris Colfax, here:
http://www.geocities.com/ccolefax/spline/

There is also MegaPOV, an unofficial version of POV-Ray and unsupported
by the POV-Team, which includes two different spline patches which will
probably do what you want. MegaPOV is available here:
http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm

> Previously, many people made spirals by combining a lot of spheres with
> their coordinates following a spiral calculation. Isn't there a more
> appropriate and direct way to do so? And, more interestingly,  following
> completely different paths.

If you use MegaPOV, there is a sphere_sweep object which can be used to
make "wire" like shapes instead of using hundreds or thousands of
spheres.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom