POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:07:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Mar 2000 20:03:22
Message: <chrishuff_99-BC2AD4.20051010032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38C992EA.4C6238BD@ij.net>, Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet>
wrote:

> 	So what is the difference other than a different syntax? The 123
> ways to create a loop? They all do the same thing in the end.
> Even step = 3 with I=I+3.
>
> 	Introducing additional syntaxes raises more problems than it
> solves. With one elementary syntax that can do everything there
> isn't nearly as much to read and a hundred fewer places for
> parser differences to creep in.

The only difference is syntax. But that is a meaningful difference.
Although a for loop could also be implemented as a while loop, it can
sometimes be easier to write and understand if written as a for loop.

And what do you mean by "a hundred fewer places for parser differences
to creep in"? I don't think the modifications would be very extensive,
and there is only one parser.

> 	Next, complex conditional if then else statements. Can GOTO be
> far behind?

Umm, we have if-then-else statements. And switch statements. And goto is
a bad idea for many reasons.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom