POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can someone explain some things to me? : Re: Can someone explain some things to me? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone explain some things to me?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Feb 2000 15:54:36
Message: <chrishuff_99-BB7BF5.15555825022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38B6B5FE.231EAF29@inapg.inra.fr>, Gilles Tran
<tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote:

> This is not necessary. In this case of manual bounding of unions,
> according to the POV manual "if you do manually bound a union we
> presume you really want it bound. For safety sake we do not presume
> to remove such bounds. " Never underestimate the user-friendliness of
> the POV-team ;-)

This is only true of unions, though.
The manual(the Holy Manual? :-) ) also says:
"Early versions of POV-Ray had no system of automatic bounding or
spatial sub-division to speed up ray-object intersection tests. Users
had to manually create bounding boxes to speed up the rendering. Since
version 3.0, POV- Ray has had more sophisticated automatic bounding than
any previous version. In many cases the manual bounding on older scenes
is slower than the new automatic systems. Therefore POV-Ray removes
manual bounding when it knows it will help. In rare instances you may
want to keep manual bounding. Some older scenes incorrectly used
bounding when they should have used clipping. If POV-Ray removes the
bounds in these scenes the image will not look right. To turn off the
automatic removal of manual bounds you should specify Remove_Bounds=off
or use -UR . The default is Remove_Bounds=on ."

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom