POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Testing....Testing... : Re: Testing....Testing... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing....Testing...
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Mar 2000 19:24:55
Message: <chrishuff_99-B3E41C.19263404032000@news.povray.org>
In article
<Pin### [at] belialrenonvus>,
<cre### [at] belialrenonvus> wrote:

> > Isosurfaces, which are shapes defined by an arbitrary equation.
>
> Ummmm ok :)

I did a bad job of explaining that, sorry. The isosurface object takes
an equation and a threshold value, and creates the surface from all the
points where the equation is equal to the threshold. The surface of the
shape is like a skin stretched over the areas of higher density(or lower
density, depending on how you set it up). As an example, the equation
for a unit sphere is "sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z)) - 1". So an
isosurface sphere would be:
isosurface {
    function {sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z)) - 1}
    threshold 0 // This tells it to place the surface at points
                // where the value of the equation is 0
}

> I've heard about media but to my (semi?:) eternal shame I haven't even
> read POVrays docs on media yet...I know it can do cool stuff...

It is basically a way of simulating atmospheric effects like smoke,
steam, fire, fog...(there is a separate "fog" feature, but it behaves
differently. For example, it doesn't interact with lights, and shadows
don't show in it.)

> Isn't that the guy who wrote those lens flare plugins for Moray (I d/l it
> to try it (Moray that is :)...now I use it for it's awesome texture
> editor....well material editor I should say......man POVRAY sure gives me
> heck when I try and combine my inc file with borrowered materials from
> Moray and textures from the textures.inc file :)

Nathan Kopp? He is the one managing MegaPOV. He is also the one who
wrote the improvements to the radiosity, the third media sampling
method, and the photon mapping feature. :-)

I'm not sure about Moray plugins(I don't use Moray, I don't even use the
same platform), but he has done lens flare include files...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom