POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Bands in graditations : Re: Bands in graditations Server Time
1 Jul 2024 06:11:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bands in graditations
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Apr 2000 12:18:35
Message: <chrishuff_99-B19761.11213224042000@news.povray.org>
In article <B529041B.B39%dav### [at] maccom>, David
<dav### [at] maccom> wrote:

> Normally, I can not see the bands. In this picture only, I can.
> I can tell that there are less then 16 million colors on that wall.
> It looks like 256!

It might be. And there are definitely less than 16 million colors on
that wall! 24 bit color is 8 bits per component, you have 256 levels of
red, green, and blue. This means you also only have 256 levels of gray,
since those three are equal in gray colors. If the only difference
between the colors is the intensity, you can sometimes see the banding,
even with 24 bit color.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/