POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Another question on backward compatibility : Re: Another question on backward compatibility Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another question on backward compatibility
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Mar 2000 09:25:07
Message: <chrishuff_99-B14A37.09270718032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38d31dc2@news.povray.org>, Serge LAROCQUE
<sgl### [at] hotmailcom%> wrote:

> Would it be easier to distribute the old binaries instead of keeping the
> new binaries backward compatible? (I am not advocating either option,
> just asking)

One of the biggest reasons for keeping backwards compatability is so
things like include files can still work in current versions without
having to be converted. You can write a scene in the latest version, and
include a file that uses the #version command to allow it to parse as an
older version, and not have to convert the whole include file to the
latest version. This would be impossible if you use multiple versions.

And while it might be nice to have the older versions officially
available alongside the new ones(for features like halo and the older
syntax without interior), I think they would just make support harder.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom