POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Realistic Sky, Lake, Pine Trees, Grass and Wheat Field needed.... : Re: Realistic Sky, Lake, Pine Trees, Grass and Wheat Field needed.... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Realistic Sky, Lake, Pine Trees, Grass and Wheat Field needed....
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Feb 2000 19:31:00
Message: <chrishuff_99-A5C8BD.19323128022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38BB0C0C.91144244@spiritone.com>, Josh English
<eng### [at] spiritonecom> wrote:

> I suspect those are above my head, the problem is that grasspatch makes a
> whole bunch of individual splines. I can move all of them uniformly, but
> it probably won't look as good.

Actually, they are pretty simple:
    The first function, vtransform(), just applies a transform like
scale, rotate, translate, matrix, or a sequence of these in a transform
{} block to a point vector, moving it as they would an object.

    The vturbulence() function applies turbulence to a point vector. If
you used this in the calculations for the grass positions, it would be
the same as turbulating the grass.

    The eval_pattern() function takes a point vector and a pattern, and
returns the value at that point(between 0 and 1 for most patterns,
although there are exceptions).

    The eval_pigment() function does the same thing, except that it
takes a pigment instead of a pattern and returns a rgb color vector. If
you use position vectors in the color_map of the pigment and use the
result of the function in your calculations for the grass, you could
simulate things like waving grass.
Or you could use a combination of these, like vturbulence() with
eval_pattern() controlling the amount of turbulence.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom