POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Mar 2000 17:43:02
Message: <chrishuff_99-A47538.17445714032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38CEB739.73D6F151@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> In principal it would act as any pre-declared value and is held in
> memory before the loop structure is encountered. As long as the
> person writing the scene code that utilizes this places the user
> prompts before anything else in the scene then you will only encounter
> the user prompt during the first few seconds of parsing activity.

Yes, that would work...as long as you put everything at the start of the
scene. Which isn't always possible, with includes and macros for example.
You could just ignore this problem and use a default value/expiry time
system, but you still have to figure out how to get input from the user
in a platform-independant way.
My idea would be a standard set of user input-output functions for POV
4.0. These would be internal to the platform-specific part of the code
and very general in action, and could be used for user interaction as
well as things like #warning and #debug as well as prompt_user(). Since
they would be part of the platform-specific code and called from the
core code, the problems with making those modifications to the core code
would be gone.

Or maybe something similar exists already, I admit I haven't looked at
that part of the code.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom