POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Math group? : Re: Math group? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math group?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 2 Dec 1999 15:33:05
Message: <chrishuff_99-979A62.15331702121999@news.povray.org>
In article <384### [at] spiritonecom>, Josh English
<eng### [at] spiritonecom> wrote:

> As far as your problem is concerned, are you talking about a
> smooth_triangle mesh? I did that recently thanks to Warp (I think it was
> Warp, one of our kind fellows here directed me to the Read Me file which
> explained everything)

No, I want to calculate the curvature of a surface, any surface, given a
number of points on the surface surounding the evaluation point and
their normals. Maybe the average vdot of the normal at each sample with
the normal at the evaluation point. Or something based on the average
distance from a point just "above" the evaluation point.
This is for a curvature pattern I have been working on, inspired by the
patina thread in .advanced-users. :-)

I will make a more detailed post there soon. Or should it go to
.unofficial.patches, since it relates to a patch and not directly to
POV-Ray? Or to .general, because the problem itself doesn't have
anything to do with either patches or POV-Ray, but math, and here is a
group for "general" stuff, which would seem to include math? See why I
thought of the .binaries.math group?
Well, I tend to over-analyze things, so I will just shut up and head
over to .advanced-users. :-)

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom