POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) : Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-CSDL (or Java Binding?)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Mar 2000 14:37:36
Message: <chrishuff_99-9798C7.14392712032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38cbe304@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] sarakerttunencstutfi> wrote:

> "classes will make CSDL too complicated", and so on and so on.

Actually, I just don't think they are needed. In the syntax I am working
on, there would be an "object" type, which could be a sphere, box,
cylinder, or whatever. This "object" could also have attached variables
and functions. Copies of this object would get copies of the variables
and access to the same functions, similar to inheritance, and you could
add overriding functions to the copies. You could get something close to
a class by using a "union" to hold the variables and functions. The main
difference is that actual objects are manipulated instead of types, a
separate "class" type doesn't seem necessary.
It is still object-oriented, but in a different way that makes Java and
C++ look more like "object-type oriented".

>   Perhaps a set of C++-libraries to make easier to create pov-files would
> be good.

A set of C++ classes which are freely available would be very useful in
developing many utilities. I have a 3d vector class which I might
donate...but this doesn't fill the same purpose CSDL would.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom