POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 20:59:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Mar 2000 16:31:27
Message: <chrishuff_99-9681D4.16332316032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38D07115.B40CDB15@ij.net>, Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet>
wrote:

> 	What is a platform specific editor?

SimpleText. Note Pad. The POV-Ray Mac editor. MPW. BBEdit. Need any more?

> And why care as this is source code discussion?

Because adding a += feature would require the modification of the source
code, would not be dependant on editor features, and would be completely
platform independant?

> OK, you don't have a control key you can't do ^esdx but that is a
> separater issue. I know of no editor insisting upon an alt key that
> produced plain ascii output. If you are trying to make MS Word your
> code editor ...

Huh? I don't really understand what your point is...
Those appear to be key combination commands...you do know that they vary
from editor to editor and not all are supported on many editors, don't
you?
I repeat, an editor feature is not a good substitute for a language
feature.
Oh, and Macs *do* have a control key. I have never seen a keyboard
without one(well, except for the old Tandy COCO II and Commodore 64, and
maybe the Apple IIe, which predated the Macintosh line). :-)

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom