POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Q: Image-Maps in Layered Textures : Re: Q: Image-Maps in Layered Textures Server Time
19 May 2024 18:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: Image-Maps in Layered Textures
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Feb 2000 10:19:01
Message: <chrishuff_99-6D5671.10202927022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38B93A53.83D12556@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> In the official version layered textures that use filter or transmit
> react the same i.e. they both default to the behavior of filter. In
> MegaPov Nathan changed this so that transmit works "correctly" or so
> he claims. It's not really a bug as much as it is a dissagreement as
> to what the correct behavior should be where layered textures are
> concerned. I do not know at this point if this change will be reflected
> in POV-Ray v3. or not. It will definately break a lot of pre v3.5
> textures if it is implememnted though the #version directive can be
> used to compensate for this.

Actually, it is filter that acts like transmit in layered textures in
the official version. MegaPOV fixes it so filter acts like filter and
transmit like transmit(makes more sense, doesn't it?). Since it is
documented in the manual, it can't really be considered a bug, so I call
it a "documented mis-feature". :-)

And converting older textures is actually quite easy: just set the
filter in the upper layers to 0 and add the value that was there to the
transmit value. This should give the same appearance as it had in the
official version. Or you could use the #version directive...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom