POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions : Re: The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:12:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The C++ rewrite of POV - POV version 4.0 suggestions
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Mar 2000 09:20:35
Message: <chrishuff_99-6361AB.09223418032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38D2BBBE.107BB51B@nigels.com>, nig### [at] eisanetau wrote:

> You talk about the "support nightmare", but I can see the
> complexity of POV-script increasing with each release,
> which in turn will result in similar problems.

Multiple languages for each platform would be very difficult to support.
Adding to and expanding the language will be much easier to support. I
don't see why you want this...people will no longer be able to ask "how
do I do this", they will have to choose a language too, and people using
other languages wouldn't be able to help them. There would have to be at
least one expert for each language. And if they are platform dependant,
that makes the problem much larger.(the same scene file that renders on
Windows POV-Ray should run the same on POV-Ray Mac or Linux POV. There
should be no differences, other than version numbers)
I don't see any benefit in platform dependant things like this, and a
lot of problems...

> I'd rather see a focus on rendering technology than parsing
> technology.

I don't see the POV Team trying to come up with new kinds of parsers for
each release...their focus is definitely not on parsing technology.

> <wish>
> Set POV free, and let us use it as an API
> </wish>

Who is this "us" you speak of?

--
Chris Huff