POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The Language of POV-Ray : Re: The Language of POV-Ray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:12:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Language of POV-Ray
From: Chris Huff
Date: 11 Mar 2000 22:46:25
Message: <chrishuff_99-60EA31.22481511032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38CAF26F.AF099263@hotmail.com>, Tor Olav Kristensen
<tor### [at] onlineno> wrote:

> Hmmm...Your for loops looks like c-syntax to me.

Yes.

> Would you suggest that one allowed similar things
> to be allowed in a for-loop declaration in the
> POV-language that one allows in C?
>
> E.g. initialize several variables, call other
> functions/macros within the declaration itself etc. ?
>
> If not, then I my opinion is that one should
> choose another syntax for the for-loop that doesn't
> make the users believe that the same rules applies
> as in C.

I don't see any reason not to support the full C syntax(other than
possible difficulty in supporting some things). The only differences
would be the # in front of the keyword and a #end instead of a {} block.

> And: Wouldn't it be better that the control
> variable(s) in a for-loop is local to the for-loop?

Hmm, I'm not sure here...I think it would be a good idea when considered
alone, but no other variables are local to a loop or conditional. As far
as I know, #local only affects include files and macros. Having a single
exception made for the #for(;;) loop might not be a good idea.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom