POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurface hills : Re: Isosurface hills Server Time
10 Aug 2024 03:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface hills
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Mar 2000 09:44:15
Message: <chrishuff_99-5EB259.09461518032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38D### [at] aolcom>, Lummox JR <Lum### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> I took your advice on the basic hill structure (haven't gotten as far as
> ground cover yet) and used a formula that was basically
> y-noise3d(x,0,z), with a little noise added to x and z as well to
> turbulate it a bit.
> Unfortunately, although the basic shape is right, I've run into an
> interesting problem: Because the noise function is clipped to values of
> 0 to 1, most of the resulting hills have flat surfaces.

This is a known problem, one which I wish would get fixed soon. It also
occurs with things like the bozo pattern(which is actually identical to
noise3d()).

> The only good solution I can think of would be to modify the f_func.c
> file (I've made extensive modifications already, so this isn't entirely
> out of the question) to include an unclipped noise function. (Too bad
> the function doesn't allow a user-specified pre-clip scaling to avoid
> that.) I'm not particularly anxious to try that tack if something better
> can be achieved with the version I'm already using.

I hope someone does it soon. I don't know enough about that kind of
function to do anything, but as I understand it, it would be a fairly
simple modification in one of the hash functions or in the Noise()
function.
What are the modifications you have made? Potential new features?

> I'm going to try some alternate versions like 4*n*(1-n), which should
> just give me a lot of valleys instead, and see if that works any better.
> In the meantime, suggestions are still much appreciated.

You might be able to disguise the plateaus by using multiple calls to
noise3d() with different values added to the x, y, and z parameters for
each(to translate the resulting patterns so they don't just reenforce).

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom